Julian Chokkattu/Digital Developments
The PlayStation four is a exceptional piece of hardware, however like all recreation consoles, it’s not immune to the occasional hiccup. Since its unique launch in 2013, Sony has labored to resolve most of the console’s intermittent points by way of numerous firmware updates. In 2016, Sony launched two new iterations of its premier console — a slimmer mannequin with the identical identify and the 4K-compatible PlayStation four Professional — each of which give improved efficiency over their predecessor and handle a number of the console’s lingering hardware points.
Nonetheless, you might end up with a misbehaving unit, and that’s an actual bummer for those who’re hoping to squeeze some gaming into your busy schedule. Our information covers widespread issues with the PS4 household of techniques and gives attainable options to get you again within the recreation as quickly as attainable.
Get in contact with Sony
First, right here’s all the knowledge you’ll want to get in touch with Sony in case your specific difficulty shouldn’t be resolved from our information.
You can too search Sony’s error message library and comply with the troubleshooting options for the error that you simply encountered.
Three years down the road, the “Blue Line of Death” stays the most-crippling of all issues but to floor on the PS4. Taking a cue from the Xbox 360’s “Red Ring of Death,” the pulsing blue line signifies a technical drawback might imply your console is not practical. In contrast to the purple ring, the “Blue Line of Death” doesn’t routinely imply your PS4 is lifeless, however it does the identical job because the ring; letting you realize that there’s a very huge drawback.
When booting up the PS4, the LED indicator mild adorning the aspect of the console ought to shortly pulse blue prior to turning white. On consoles affected by the “Blue Line of Death,” nevertheless, the blue mild pulses constantly, indicating failed video output earlier than inexplicably powering off. On this case, the console by no means sends a sign to the TV, primarily bricking the gadget and stopping regular operation. Sony believed the issue was an remoted incident, but in addition launched a troubleshooting information highlighting a slew of potential fixes. Whereas the issue was extra widespread at launch, it nonetheless crops up for a small portion of customers and is extra possible to be a problem in case your console was manufactured between late-2013 and early-2014.
As Sony outlined within the aforementioned troubleshooting information, the blinking blue mild could possibly be indicative of numerous hardware or software program points. That stated, there are a selection of potential options you possibly can attempt. Should you do handle to isolate a problem with the PS4 hardware, contact PlayStation buyer help, or take your console immediately to an official Sony retail retailer, as they will typically present on-site repairs or replacements. If there isn’t a retailer out there in your space, you’ll possible want to ship your console to Sony. At this level, your console is probably not underneath producer guarantee: If that’s the case, understand that you could have to pay a restore payment.
- Replace your TV’s firmware — A handful of customers have famous that updating tv firmware has resolved the shortage of audio-video sign. When you’ve got newer tv, notably one with web connectivity, refer to the tv’s instruction guide and replace its firmware. Doing so might alter HDMI settings and repair system compatibility.
- Verify the HDMI ports — Check out each the HDMI port in your TV and your PS4 for any blaring abnormalities or damages, alongside together with your HDMI cable. If attainable, attempt testing various HDMI cables.
- Verify the facility provide — Contact the facility button on the entrance of the PS4 for a minimum of seven seconds, or till the system beeps twice and powers off. Afterward, disconnect the AC energy twine from the electrical outlet and examine the AC IN connector and energy twine for any conspicuous injury or anomalies.
- Examine the arduous drive — Make sure that your PS4 is turned off, then disconnect the AC energy twine and another related cables earlier than sliding the HDD bay cowl outward. As soon as eliminated, examine the arduous drive for any potential injury and guarantee it’s correctly seated within the HDD bay.
- Controller reset — Ensure that every thing is related correctly. Press and maintain the PS button in your controller till the system mild turns orange. Then, press and maintain the PS button once more till the sunshine turns white. We’ve got examined this technique, and it may get your PS4 to boot correctly.
Reviews of the “Red Line of Death” aren’t as widespread because the aforementioned blinking blue mild, however it’s virtually as critical. On consoles affected by the “Red Line of Death,” the LED indicator mild adorning the aspect of the console will flash purple repeatedly, subsequently powering off after the system emits three distinct beeps. The difficulty is tied to overheating issues as outlined within the PS4 consumer information and confirmed by Sony, probably a results of fan malfunction. Some customers have reported the difficulty inside minutes of powering up the console for the primary time, nevertheless. Fortunately, it’s not the signal of a totally bricked unity.
If the issue persists and shouldn’t be alleviated by both of the potential options under, contact PlayStation buyer help or take your console immediately to an official Sony retail retailer to organize a restore/alternative.
- Give it a relaxation — Contact the facility button on the entrance of your PS4 for at the least seven seconds, or till the system beeps and powers off. Then, disconnect the facility provide and permit the console to relaxation for an prolonged time period, or till it sufficiently cools down, earlier than powering it up once more.
- Give it ample area — Place your PS4 in a well-ventilated space to guarantee it has sufficient respiration room, avoiding carpet and comparable providers each time attainable. Moreover, some customers have reported that putting the console vertically helps lower overheating (although it shouldn’t contemplating the place blocks entry to both aspect vent).
Drawback: Broken HDMI port and defective HDMI cables
It is probably not PS4-specific or widespread, however some customers have reported points stemming from a broken HDMI port delivery on their PS4 models. The drawback, which leads to a scarcity of audio or video output on the TV, is usually brought on by a connection obtrusion ensuing from a bent piece of metallic inside the console’s built-in HDMI port. Though the reasoning for the bent element is unknown, it successfully renders the port incompatible because the bent piece can not correctly join with the HDMI twine. Moreover, there have been studies of defective HDMI cables that merely don’t work for one purpose or one other.
Whereas this concern was resolved in subsequent PS4 shipments after the console’s launch, if you are going to buy a pre-owned unit otherwise you’re experiencing HDMI points, you’ll nonetheless need to search for potential solutions under.
If neither of the potential options under clear up the issue, attempt contacting Sony. Though not confirmed, Sony will doubtless ship you a free alternative cable in a matter of days as soon as the issue has been confirmed.
- Verify the HDMI ports — Check out each the HDMI port in your TV and your PS4 for any blaring abnormalities or damages, alongside together with your HDMI cable. If potential, attempt testing various HDMI cables.
- Bend again the metallic — In the event you can clearly see a bit of metallic bent upward inside the console’s HDMI port, bend the broken piece down utilizing a pin or small software. Additionally, ensure the port didn’t knock out any tooth or trigger any further injury to the HDMI cable. If that is the issue, you should still need to contact Sony and ask for a alternative, even when the console begins to work.
- Use a unique HDMI cable — When you’re unlucky sufficient to obtain a defective HDMI cable from Sony, easy use one other on-hand cable or buy a brand new one.
Drawback: Broken DualShock four analog sticks
We like a variety of issues concerning the DualShock four controller, however the gentle rubber padding on its analog sticks can tear fairly simply when enjoying a recreation that requires fast actions, like Bloodborne. However simply because the rubber tears doesn’t imply you could have to ditch the controller!
Answer: Analog stick covers, akin to GelTabz — available in shops like GameStop and on Amazon — pop proper over your analog stick, offering an much more snug gaming expertise whereas additionally defending the stick itself. They’re barely textured, so your fingers don’t slip regardless of their flat design, and 4 are included in each package deal. PlayStation-formatted GelTabz work with each DualShock three and DualShock four controllers.
Annoyance: Operating out of space for storing
The latest PlayStation four methods, together with the “slim” mannequin and the extra highly effective PlayStation four Professional, each have elevated inner storage of up to 1TB. That is loads of area for a number of AAA video games, so you’ll be able to simply bounce between a number of of your favorites with out having to delete something. For these with a 500GB inner drive, nevertheless, you will see that your self operating out of area with regularity, notably as recreation updates make your file sizes even bigger than they have been at launch.
- Join a USB exterior arduous drive to your console. The PS4 works with any USB three.Zero-compatible exhausting drive. Merely plug it into one of many PS4’s USB ports, and choose the Format as prolonged storage choice.
- You can too swap out your PlayStation four’s inner storage. Any 2.5-inch drive with storage larger than 160GB will work together with your system, and you’ll be able to swap it with out voiding the guarantee in your PlayStation four. You may as well add all of your save information to the cloud via PlayStation Plus or to a flash drive, so you possibly can simply retrieve them when you’re accomplished. Take a look at our full information for a step-by-step walkthrough.