In the event you’re a gamer of a sure age, you undoubtedly have both fond or irritating reminiscences of the Command & Conquer collection of real-time technique (RTS) video games. Perhaps even each, relying on the way you managed to stack up towards your mates. Since each previous online game model is one simply ready to be dusted off on the proper time, EA has determined the time is true for Command & Conquer: Rivals (Free) to scratch the cellular RTS itch you didn’t know you will have.
First issues first: For those who’re going to be all “How dare you spoil my childhood like this, EA?” you then in all probability don’t want to learn on. It’s a good sentiment for, um, a number of the issues we’ve seen from the corporate up to now, however Command & Conquer: Rivals is definitely a reasonably respectful tackle the model, albeit one tailor-made particularly for fast, fast-paced PvP matches on an entire lot much less general actual property than you could be used to from the style. It’s truly fairly intelligent, for lack of a extra colourful adjective.
However because it’s all PvP and undoubtedly free-to-play in all the most effective and most annoying senses, you’ll need to work out how to not suck too badly and play for the least sum of money potential whereas nonetheless having the ability to put up a battle. Luckily, we’re the useful varieties right here, so let’s see what Rivals is all about.
The item of a match of C&C: Rivals is about so simple as it will get. Each commanders (fancy speak for gamers) have a base on reverse sides of the sport map, and the primary one to destroy the opposite base wins. You possibly can ship models over there to assault it immediately, however the bases are fairly stout, so that would take some time.
As an alternative, Rivals makes use of an fascinating mechanic with two or extra zones of three hexes every that can be utilized to management a nuclear missile within the middle of the map. There’s a meter that fills up regularly as gamers vie for management of the zones, and when the meter is on the prime, whoever has possession of two or extra of the zones fires the nuke towards the enemy base, immediately decreasing its well being by half. Get in two missile photographs and you win. Easy!
Properly, easy besides that there’s the standard RTS gathering of assets — Tiberium, in line with collection lore — to construct models to battle for these zones. Totally different sorts of troops at your disposal embrace infantry, automobiles, mechs and air models. Additionally, you’ll be able to “steal” the missile by rigorously timing your assaults and actions to swoop in for management of the zones proper when the meter is about to prime off, so there’s so much happening in a reasonably confined area.
So far as the very fundamentals, although, Command & Conquer: Rivals is sort of intuitive. To regulate a unit, merely faucet on it. Faucet once more to transfer it wherever you would like; you’ll see a white line that signifies the trail it is going to take. Tapping on an enemy unit or construction will make the unit advance towards it and assault till its lifeless, the goal is lifeless otherwise you give it one other order.
Alongside the underside of the display, you’ll discover buttons to produce models or the buildings that make them, together with their value in Tiberium. Your Tiberium retailer is on the very left, and whereas it slowly fills by itself, you possibly can collect it extra shortly by use of a unit referred to as a Harvester, which can drive to the closest provide and regularly mine with out want to give it extra orders.
Bonus tip: Harvesters are fairly sturdy however haven’t any weapons, so attacking the enemy harvester may be an fascinating tactic, particularly because you immediately get a bunch of Tiberium for those who blow one up.
So when you’re free to ship your troops merrily into battle all willy nilly, it actually helps to perceive that each unit is robust towards another varieties and weak and even utterly ineffective towards others. Extra broadly, this relationship between troop varieties classifies each unit as both Infantry (denoted by a bit stick determine), Car (jeep icon) or Plane (fighter jet), in addition to being Air or Floor.
In the event you faucet on any unit in your assortment, you’ll see what it’s thought-about up by its identify, whereas the sorts of models towards which it’s robust and can goal in any respect are proper beneath its image.
On this instance, we’re wanting on the Zone Trooper, a strong GDI Infantry unit that’s robust towards Automobiles and Plane and can goal each Air and Floor foes. It additionally has a nifty particular capacity the place it self-heals when not in fight.
Techniques in Rivals typically break down into having the right counters to what your opponent is enjoying. For instance, figuring out what the Zone Trooper’s strengths are, you wouldn’t throw a tank at it, as a result of it’s in all probability going to lose. As an alternative, you’ll need to assault it with Infantry of your personal since that’s the sort that provides it some issues.
In fact, there are occasions when the enemy forces your hand and you’ll have to throw down figuring out you’re at an obstacle, however such is life in any RTS. Success is earned by minimizing these occasions for your self and maximizing them for your opponent, so that you’ll undoubtedly need to familiarize your self with each new unit you unlock to see what targets are most obvious if you put it to use.
There isn’t any in-match leveling in Command & Conquer: Rivals, so that you’ll have to dance with who you brung, to borrow an previous idiom that depends on incorrect English. As you could have already surmised simply because it’s such a widespread development in cellular, Rivals makes use of a card system: All you want is one card to unlock any unit, however you’ll want multiples of that very same card to bump it to the subsequent rank.
Even when you will have sufficient copies of a card to rank up a given unit, you’ll want to spend cash to degree it up 3 times. Then the precise rank up is free, which is good. However it’s essential not to overlook about leveling, as a result of that may make your models only a tad higher than ones your opponent has of the identical rank. That is undoubtedly a recreation the place little edges can matter.
There are additionally numerous commanders you’ll be able to unlock and degree/rank up identical to you do models, every with their very own particular capability. These talents additionally value Tiberium to activate, in order that they turn out to be a de facto seventh unit to go together with the six you’ll be able to have in your “deck” in a match.
Protecting in thoughts that we’re making an attempt to make you a Command & Conquer: Rivals ace on a price range, the apparent query turns into the way you earn extra playing cards to hold your military enhancing. Fortuitously, there are a handful of various methods to get them with out spending any dough on IAPs.
- Order a Crate -Each match you play can earn you Gasoline, which can be utilized to order Crates that include cash, Diamonds (the premium foreign money, which solely exhibits up in Crates at random) and playing cards. It prices one unit of Gasoline to order a Crate and yet one more to scale back its wait time by half. You are able to do each from the underside of the house display.
- Full 5 bounties – Bounties are particular, cumulative match objectives that refresh day by day. Ending off a single bounty will get you cash and XP, however ending all 5 will get you a Crate that opens immediately.
- Hold leveling up – Each time you degree up your participant profile, you’ll earn a reward that features cash and free playing cards. The primary 10 battles in a day earn you bonus XP to assist you to degree up quicker, so it’s value enjoying a minimum of that many battles for those who’ve received the time for it.
- Purchase the Day by day Playing cards within the Retailer – Mash that purchasing card icon to get to the in-game retailer, then faucet the ‘Daily Cards’ tab to discover three playing cards you should purchase with cash. The choice modifications (wait for it … ) day by day. It’s also possible to purchase Crates for Diamonds or just purchase extra Diamonds within the retailer when you’re so inclined.
- Open your free Widespread Crate twice a day – Each 12 hours, you’ll be able to hit up the ‘Crates’ tab within the retailer and get a Widespread crate for no cost. It’s not a lot, however it’s one thing.
- Be a part of an Alliance and request playing cards out of your teammates – Whereas Rivals will undoubtedly add extra social options because it goes, one of many main advantages to becoming a member of an Alliance is as a result of you possibly can request donations from the opposite members of playing cards from the 2 lowest rarity ranges within the recreation each eight hours. In fact, etiquette suggests that you simply additionally donate some you don’t want as a lot in return. That’s simply good manners.
If you first begin enjoying Command & Conquer: Rivals, your solely choice is to play because the International Protection Initiative (GDI), who’re kind of the “good guys” in collection lore. As longtime followers know, there’s additionally Nod, which is kind of the Cobra to the GDI’s G.I. Joe. Nod has its personal utterly totally different set of models and commanders, which makes it an entire separate problem to grasp.
Sounds nice, and it’s a great way to hold issues recent. It’s additionally very simple to unlock the Nod faction for your use: Simply get to degree 9 in your participant profile and it mechanically is yours. No fuss, no muss.
Development up the PvP ranks is tracked individually for every faction, so undoubtedly keep in mind that when selecting which aspect to play. It’d make some sense to concentrate on one faction or the opposite for the period of a season, however as Black Sheep as soon as famously stated, the selection is yours — as soon as you’re degree 9 or above, anyway.
In case you’ve learn this far, you need to have a reasonably good deal with on how to play Rivals and how to continue to grow in energy with out sinking cash into the sport. Nonetheless, we will cross on a number of extra pointers we’ve picked up in our time in-game up to now.
- Location, location, location – Positioning is perhaps crucial factor in all the recreation. Only a few models can hearth multiple hex away, so even shifting one additional area might be the distinction between life and demise for your troops. By the identical token, securing a zone can typically be so simple as bodily putting models within the hexes that forestall your opponent from waltzing in, so blocking is a tactic that may completely work.
- Get that Harvester out ASAP – The countdown to the beginning of a match ought to be your time to prepare to get your Harvester out as shortly as humanly potential. There’s actually no compelling cause not to do it, so get that factor in motion pronto.
- Maintain it shifting – Method too many gamers ship their models out to battle and simply allow them to slug it out. Mobility can undoubtedly be used as a weapon, although, and the easiest gamers always are shifting troops round to make their opponent uncomfortable, maintain their models alive and merely to combine issues up. Outmaneuvering a stronger opponent may be the one means to defeat them in some instances.
- Dying from above – Plane are a game-changer once they first arrive, assured to freak you out in case your enemies unlock them earlier than you do. The secret is not to panic: Research which of your floor models can battle again towards them and have a counter prepared. In any other case you’ll get sliced up from the skies.
- Watch out for swarms – A reasonably widespread general technique that you simply’ll encounter is simply to spam one troop sort. The hope is that you’ll fumble round for the best counter or just be too sluggish to sustain till its too late. Sometimes, that is only a setup transfer, just like the participant that spams infantry to purchase time to get out huge mechs for the endgame. Once more, crucial weapon you’ll have is information. In case you can shortly determine what your enemy is doing and calmly get counters out on the map, no swarm ought to find a way to cease you.